
Jack's Great Grandma, who we call Grandma G.G. (Lisa's mama!) asked me a very good question about the nasty snails, so I thought I would address it in case any of you have tanks or decide to get some.
The plants that we bought for our tank had eggs on them. When we put them in our tank, the eggs hatched and *poof*! Baby snails galore. They don't live long, but they keep laying their eggs in the gravel. We can't see the eggs because they are so small, but there are there. We have cleaned out the gravel but they also have laid them in the accessories and no matter how much we clean, they keep coming back.
I read that prior to putting a plant in your tank, you should soak it in water with snail killer chemicals. We don't want to use the snail killer chemical in our tank as it will kill our baby fish though. So, for now, we have gross little things crawling all over the place. We bought lettuce yesterday and I can't believe I'm actually going to try that trick.
I haven't been able to find a real fish store here in Bend. I think I'm going to just go back to Petsmart and say "Give me a Loach" and see what happens. They are aggressive fish, so I'm hoping I can pick one that is a lover and not a fighter, but loves to eat!
AHA! Thanks. That makes total sense! Let us know how the lettuce trick works.
ReplyDeleteG.G.
Take it from Bubba, walk into Petco first thing in the morning with morning hair and morning breath, bring Jack in with a dirty diaper and don't feed him, wake him up early so he is extremely pissed off........and say,' GIVE ME A LOACH OR SOMEBODY IS GOING TO BE HURT!" then just stand there and stare at them with one eye looking at the ceiling and let Jack run wild screaming, I think they may give in.........
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so I have some strange news. I subbed in a first grade class today, and they have pet snails. One of the classroom jobs is to feed them. Do you know what they feed their snails? Lettuce! Those snails were all over that crap. So maybe that dude wasn't just smoking crack. Let me know if you try it!
ReplyDelete