Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Typhoid Jack


Well, my vacation to Reno was a bust. In fact, I didn't even make it to California to see my family like I wanted to. Aside from Mary getting sick, Jack got sick, too. Luckily, his wasn't serious and the worst of it is over. He has major diaper rash from diarrhea, but once we get home I will be able to give him plenty of warm milk baths and A&D for his little bottom.

So, I got to spend Sunday night at the hospital here in Reno. Mary was out at her Grandmas celebrating her birthday while Jack and I were at her place watching tv. Everything was going fine until around noon time. I all of sudden felt awful and threw up. Over the course of 9 hours, I just threw up over and over and over. Then I had some other things happen which are really, really, gross, so I won't go into details about that, but just know that I owe Mary new carpet. At around 8pm, I was laying in Mary's bathtub unable to stop barfing and other things out of the other end of my body. My arms went numb, and then my vision went dark, like I was going through a tunnel. When I woke up, the shower water was still warm, and I thought I was about to die. Jack was in the bathroom with me crying his eyes out. I climbed out of the tub and into Mary's bedroom and called 911. My hands, arms, and chest went completely numb making it near impossible to call. My legs and hands were frozen shut, like I had rigamortis or something. Thank goodness the 911 operator was able to trace where I was calling from to send an ambulance. I could barely communicate to her what was happening because my mouth was locked up. When the ambulance showed up, I was buck naked on the floor shaking uncontrollably, and other things going on uncontrollably (again, gross stuff). The fire department had to break into Mary's house (I owe her a new fence by the way). The female fire fighter covered me with a blanket and then sent up the EMTs which were guys. Jack then took the blanket off and I was in all my glory for 6 people. Jack always knows how to make light of a scary situation. They get me down the stairs and into the ambulance. At this point I wasn't sure where Jack was. I think a fire fighter had him. I heard them say they had a car seat in the ambulance and they were taking him with me, but then Mary showed up. They asked if she could take Jack until Lisa could come get him, and I told them yes. Then they took me to the hospital. They gave me a ton of tests, an EKG test, 7 blood samples (or maybe 9? I lost count...) 7 bags of sodium water (which they couldn't find a vein since I was so dehydrated, and had to use the ones in my hands twice), shots galore (including one in my tummy to prevent blood clotting) and dozens of other stuff that I don't remember. My white cell count was through the roof and my pulse was weak for a good 12 hours. I kept appologising to everyone because I felt so stupid for being in the hospital over the Hershey Squirts. They all told me I would have died if I didn't come in, so that made me feel tons better.

While in the hospital, I was well taken care of. I went through 6 nurses and 5 doctors, all which were wonderful. Everyone was really nice and helpful. My friend Connie, who works there as a respiratory therapist, came to visit me several times, as did Mary. Connie bought me a coloring book and crayons, chapstick, and other things to make me feel better. Mary, who is the best florist West of the Mississippi, had balloons and flowers sent to me (hmmm, I wonder who made my awesome arrangement? =) ). My friend Jessica O. brought flowers and a Cosmo, and reminded me that I was too pretty to be sick. Nessa works as a nurse at St. Marys so she couldn't come by, but she called me half a dozen times to check on me. My friends are so amazing. 

Lisa, Jay, and Stevi all took such great care of Jack while I was in the hospital. They dealt with baby poo galore, and now all three of them are sick, too. They even had to miss work thanks to me. I just hope it doesn't get any worst for them. I feel just terrible about it.

Sweet Pippa was sick on Thursday, and Nick called into work today sick. My family has nick-named Jack "Typhoid Jack" since everyone he comes in contact with gets sick. I hardly think we can blame Nick and Pippa being sick on Jack though, as Pip got sick before Jack and we weren't even in the same state as her, plus, we caught it from Mary who caught it from Nessa who caught it from a patient at St. Marys. So really, I'd like to get the name of that patient and send them my medical bill and the bill for Mary's fence, oh, and a bill for lost wages for Lisa and Jay. I'd also like to be reimbursed for the emotional stress I was put through. 

I would love to come back home to Bend today, but everyone tells me I need to rest. Plus, Kevin would be furious if I drove home less then a day after being discharged from the hospital. So, I am planning on coming home tomorrow. I can not wait for this entire ordeal to be over. Nothing rocks more then everyone knowing you've been hospitalized for the rah-rahs, and then giving it to everyone and their mother. Two things are for sure though: 1. I will never take clean underwear and brushing my teeth for granted again and 2. I can now fit into my size 5 jeans again! Sweet!

6 comments:

  1. I just want to thank you, Jay lost 6 lbs and I so far have lost 5! I am excited for the day I feel up to dressing again as well!....Typhoid Jack can stay with us any day, It was worth it to get lots of cuddles! Oh update Jay has actually lost 7 lbs.! Jay like this diet! but we all stink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy, I can't believe how horribly sick you got! You must have been terrified and poor Jack was probably terrified as well. I'm glad to hear you're on the mend. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy I am so sorry to hear you were feeling so sick but am very glad to hear you are ok. Take care of yourself, I will be thinking of you and Jack! - Linny Loo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no. I'm so sorry this happened to you. How scary! Are you sure it wasn't anything more serious than dehydration & the runs? It sounds so horrible and scary. I hope it was just the sickness, and I hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing and terrifying story! I'm so glad that you were aware enough to call 911. And thanks for the chuckles interspersed throughout!

    G.G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy and Jack
    My oh my, didn't realize how sick the two of you were in Reno. Bah hum bug! Hope you are home in Bend, resting and having some warm vegetable soup. Take good care, sure everyone in California missed seeing you.

    ReplyDelete