Monday, March 9, 2009

Baby For Sale: Starting Price, 99 Cents! No Reserve!




I am listing Jack on eBay today. Ok, not really. For one, that's illegal, and secondly, he's my baby and I love him more then anything. However, starting from last night until right this moment, he's been an absolute pill! Perhaps I should start at the beginning. See, this whole cranky baby thing started the moment my water broke... whoe, wait a minute, I didn't mean that beginning! Ok, lets start from last night:

Jack's bedtime is usually 7pm - 8pm. With losing an hour to day light saving, we tried to put Jack to bed at 7:30pm, which was really 6:30pm in Jack's mind. Well, he was not having that. So, I brought back down to relax with me. I dozed off on the couch and at around 8:30pm, he was still awake, so I decided to take him to bed officially. I cuddled him, rocked him, rubbed his back, belly, and head, nothing would make that boy stop crying. So, I put him in his bed and figured he'd cry it out and fall asleep after 10 minutes. HA! 40 minutes later he is still screaming bloody murder, so I go back up there and am sitting in the middle of the hall swaying him. Kevin comes up and takes Jack from me so I can get some sleep because I've been sick with the flu. 30 minutes go by and Jack is still upset crying. So, Kevin brings him back upstairs and puts him in his bed where he finally falls asleep.

2:30am: Jack wakes up screaming. Kevin gets up and puts him back to bed. 4:30am: Jack wakes up screaming. I go in there and lie in his bed with him. For 2 hours he cried and fussed. He didn't want food or drink, or to cuddle, or toys. He just wanted to scream. I checked him all over to make sure he wasn't injured, so whatever had him sad really was effecting him. Around 6:30am, Kevin comes in and takes over soothing Jack while I try to get some sleep (Ha! Again!).

So, Jack dozes off on Kevin's chest, but at 7:30am, Kevin had to get up to go to work, which meant he had to wake Jack, which meant Jack was screaming and crying again. Joy.

9:10am: Jack has his orthopedic appointment. We go in to this really, really nice place for it. I mean, you could eat off the carpet it was so clean. While I'm trying to fill out paperwork, Babycakes his screaming because I won't let him pound on the windows. Finally they get us to the room. The nurse brings in this huge treasure chest full of toys for Jack to play with. Yeah, he picks one up and throws it at her face. This kid hates nurses (no offence Aunt Jessica!). After I apologise a million times and the nurse leaves wanting to strangle my baby, Jack has another fit because I won't let him touch the tools in the room that are on the counter. After 20 minutes of waiting, Dr. Ryan comes in. He does a bunch of tests on Babycakes, measures him all over, moves him around, a lot "hmmms", a lot of "ahaaaaas". Basically, Jack has pigeon toes and bow legs! Yeah, I know that, Doc! Well, he explained that "larger children, especially boys, are pigeon toes and bow legged". He said although Jack is really big, he's proportionate to his height and is very healthy, so losing weight would be a very bad thing for him. However, his weight is part of the problem. It's like a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of thing. The Doc told me a bunch of other stuff like his shin bones are growing at a curve which are also part of the problem. He says at this point, braces or surgery are not a good idea as many of the children grow out of this. However, he wants to see Jack in 6 months so he can see whether or not he will grow out of it naturally. He doesn't want to do anything drastic unless he's certain it's needed. So, in 6 months we will go back for more measurements and x-rays to see how he's doing.

Now, as we're getting ready to leave the doctor's office, Jack is refusing to wear his pants. This kid hit me, fought me, kicked me, did everything to not wear pants. Since I felt white trash enough from the whole "throwing a toy at the nurse and screaming at the doctor" incident, I just wanted to get out of there so I strapped him into his stroller and bolted. Of course I didn't make it to the car without at least one person telling me he needed pants. Thanks, like I didn't know that already.

Once we left, Jack calmed down, so I thought it was safe to go to Whole Foods to pick up food for dinner tonight. Boy was I wrong. First, I had to get pants on the boy. I had to bribe him with a Hershey's Kiss to get that accomplished. Then, as we are shopping around, Jack is grabbing things off isles and throwing them. I got him a snack which he threw on the floor. Then he screamed at the produce man. That's when I gave up and went to check out. The mom in front of us had a boy Jack's age who was sitting quietly and helping her put the items on the belt. The little boy behind us didn't even need to be strapped into a shopping cart as he stayed with his mommy the entire time. My baby? He was screaming. Nice. Oh, so to try to get him to calm down, I give him my car keys. Can I be any dumber? He not only opens the trunk, but then sets off the panic alarm. And I'm sitting there like an idiot pushing a million buttons trying to get it to go off.

After I got him in the car, he fell asleep. I wasn't about to wake him up when we got home, so ran a few errands that I could do drive-thru's with such as the bank, post office, getting a chai tea, etc. We just got home and I put him in his room where he fell back asleep. Oh joy!

And as much as I would love to go take a nap right now, I need to start packing up my house. Jack and I leave Wednesday for Reno, and by the time we get back, we move.

These pictures are of Jack the other day when he was in a much better mood. He likes to play peek-a-boo behind our new TV (don't ask why it's on the floor cause I don't want to go there). If you look closely, you can see his little fingers and butt!




3 comments:

  1. screaming babies make my brain explode! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! All I can say is, this too shall pass. Little booger!

    G.G.

    ReplyDelete