Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Still Moving!

You never know how much crap you own until you have to move. I have to give myself some credit though... When I was living in Reno, I owned three times the amount of stuff I do now. Kevin has really inspired me to throw things away, give things away, sell things. I still own too much stuff, but it's getting better.

Since we only moved a mile from our old house, we decided to skip the $30 Uhaul (plus gas and milage) and just move our stuff in the truck and Jeep. We started on Saturday, it's Wednesday now, and we still aren't done. We still have the fish tank, my dresser, the patio swing, and about 25 boxes in the garage still to move. The tank, dresser, and swing will be quick and easy. It's those darn boxes in the garage that I dread going through. If you had seen how much stuff I owned before when I lived in Sparks, you would be very impressed with me getting it down to 25 boxes. But Kevin insists that I go through them before we move them. (Cringe!)

The entire move when it is all said and done will be about 20 trips in the truck, and 10 trips in the Jeep. Total gas has cost less then $14 which is nice. But then we had to pay for mailbox keys at the post office because the dingle berry who lived here before us didn't leave the keys. That's $40 out the door which really bugs me. Just when I think we are saving a few dollars, we have to spend it on something like mailbox keys. $40? Really Mr. Post Office? That seems a bit steep to me. And it's non-refundable which is lame. It's actually a bunch of profanity words, but this is a kiddy blog so I'll keep it as PG as I can.

Kevin bought me a washer and dryer. Yay! Nothing says "I love you" more then new appliances. They are Kenmore, which is my favorite brand, and from Sears. I had no luck on craigslist trying to find a washer and dryer, so my man just went out and bought them for me. He sold his iMac and used some of the money to buy me my new washer and dryer. I'm saving up for a fancy Dyson vacuum cleaner next. Jack's Great Aunt Liz has one and raved all about it, so now I want one. Not until I pay some more bills down and actually save up for it though.

Jack is doing so much better and is all done with being sick. He loves the new house so much because he can run from his room to the living room, to the dining room and kitchen, and around in circles, and I don't have to worry about him falling down stairs and breaking his neck. We got a nice dining room table and chairs on craigslist for $50 (yay for restaurants going out of business!) and went to Target & Walmart to buy some new home decor. Jack now can eat at the table with us for dinner instead of sitting at his kid table and us at the bar table. Our couch and over sized chair are disgusting, so we got nice covers to gussy them up. I'm really starting to feel like this new place is home.

Tomorrow we will finish moving. I will be going through all of my boxes (cringe again!) and then tomorrow night I plan on leaving Jack with Kevin so I can thoroughly clean that house. I look forward to this week being over and done with. Yawn....

4 comments:

  1. Dyson vacuums are amazing. I recently acquired one and ... wow! You can't believe how much cat hair that thing sucks up every weekend when I vacuum. Even more amazing is that the girls can produce that much fur! Seriously, we should harness their fur production powers and find a way to create green energy or clothing for bums ... something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of moving just gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Or is that the stomach virus?

    G.G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about the boxes! I've been going through the boxes in my storage and it scares me how much I own... Yay on getting a Dyson, we have one and it's the best vacuum ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you haven't looked inside those boxes since June......do you really need to take a peek? Sometimes it's better to just not look and realize you probably don't need whatever is in there, I am like Kevin, Jay is like you!

    ReplyDelete