
Who needs pants?! Pants are overrated!

Well, SoccerTots was an interesting experience. We arrived to the stadium around 9:50am where Jack proceeded to play with the other kids. At 10am class started and first we raced all of the kids across the indoor soccer field. Jack decided he wanted to sit on the floor and not participate so I played without him. Once he saw the other kids do it though, he joined in. Next we played Red Light/Green Light and that didn't go very well either because Jack didn't really understand the red light part and it kept making him mad when everyone would stop running. Afterwards, we played Farmer and The Fox where the kids have to chase the parents and grab their tails (we had fake tails on) and Jack really liked that game. Then it was onto balloons and the game was to keep the balloons in the air without touching them with their hands. Not one kid understood so I felt better that mine wasn't the only one. Then they had to throw the balloons through hoops which Jack enjoyed, until he threw a hoop at another kid which landed him in the naughty spot. Follow the leader was a bust and Jack had a good cry through that one. The coach (that 19 year old) was so good with the kids and told me not to worry about Jack not getting it like the others. I'm sure he could see the frustration in my face. At the end though, Jack pushed a little girl down and then hit a little boy and let me tell you, I grabbed Jack and we apologized to each child (even though they had no clue what was going on) and then I made Jack sit out on the last game while the other kids got to play. He gave me a good head butt to the throat for that, and that's when I packed up our stuff. The coach came over to say bye to Jack and give him a stamp but Jack didn't want one and just gave him the stink-eye.
I am completely frustrated with this entire thing. I am at a total loss of what to do about Jack. I mean, he can't go around hitting other kids and the naughty spot thing that everyone raves about just isn't working. I'm also concerned that every kid in there was able to follow the rules and pay attention to the coach while mine just screamed and threw a fit. I feel like I can't even go back there and that we're just ruining the fun for the other kids. I don't know what to do. Help!
i had a strong willed son (he is now 34) and i had the same problems.i bought and followed
ReplyDelete' the strong willed child' by dr.james dobson-i stuck to it and it took a while but being consistent with it worked !!!
O Chrissy I feel your pain. I swear boys are so much harder than girls. I found a couple of links for you on hitting and tantrums but I don't know if it will help you any.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you should quit going though. I think it might just take him some time to get used to the new environment. Good Luck!
http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/how-can-we-stop-our-toddler-from-hitting/
http://parenting.kaboose.com/age-and-stage/toddler/toddler-tandtrum-survival-guide.html
How old were the other kids in the class? Jack seems a bit young to get a lot of what you were describing. My almost 3 year old can't play follow the leader successfully, nor would she know what red light/green light meant. Now, if you yelled STOP or GO, she would get that. Try not to get too frustrated. I think over time he will understand it and he was just acting out his frustrations (very common for children his age).
ReplyDeleteIt could have been a stimulation overload, and the more he goes the more he'll chill out.
ReplyDeleteI think Jack was probably nervous and was just letting you know he felt uncomfortable. I am reading backwards so I am glad you stuck with it because Soccer III looked like he did awesome!
ReplyDelete