Wednesday, January 14, 2009


GrAuntie Michele (my aunt, Jack's GrAunt) is very creative. She's the one who made Jack booties when he was born. For Christmas, she made shopping bags, scarves, and even gloves! She even dyes her own yarn. I personally think she should start her own business. 

Well, Miche and I have been discussing the shoe situation with Jack. His feet are just so big! So, Miche is going to make him shoes. She asked me for his foot measurements so she can get the 
right size soles ordered. Sounds simple enough, right? Not if you are measurement impaired like me. So, I e-mail her the first set of measurements: The length, three different widths on his foot, and the width that goes all around his foot. I send them to her, and she writes me back confused. I told her his foot was something like 5 inches, 2 cm. She tells me that inches and centimeters don't go together. So I call my mom and she busts out laughing at me. I told her I counted the little dashes in between the inch marks, but guess what! THOSE AREN'T CENTIMETERS! Yeah, I'm 26 and now just learning that.

So, I write Michele back, uber embarrassed, and send her a new set of measurements. Now that I know my inches and my centimeters, this should be a piece of cake. I get a phone call from my mother later that day. She tells me that the measurements I sent my aunt seem really off, like, Jack's feet would almost be adult size they are so big. I tell her, "MOTHER! I know how to measure!" and totally am blowing her off. I hang up the phone, go over to Jack with the tape measure, and low and behold, I measured his feet wrong AGAIN. Why is this so hard for me? I'm a pretty smart girl, I shouldn't be having these kind of difficulties!

Alas, GrAuntie has now requested that I send an outline of Jack's foot, that way there are no mistakes. I think I am going to go back to 3rd grade. 


8 comments:

  1. I am going to put his fat toes in between bread and eat them when I get there. Be warned Jack Sparrow - gramma tutu is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if you could not eat my son's feet, we'd both appreciate that. I don't know, call me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't eat those feet -- I'm trying to figure out how to make shoes for them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok... hold up... those little notches between the inches aren't centimeters?? What the heck are they then? SERIOUSLY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I am knitting him those fabulous booties, cause his feet are so big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One side of the ruler has centimeters/millimeters, the other has inches and fractions of inches, you know, like 1/2, 3/4, 7/8. Are you sure you're not a blond? ;)

    Oh, and go ahead and let Gramma Tutu eat his feet, it would solve your whole shoe dilemma right away! Plus he could then have peg legs and be a real pirate! ARRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, guys. On one side of the ruler the measurements are in centimeters and on the other side in inches. On the inches side of the ruler the little teeny lines are 1/16th inch and the slightly l
    larger lines are 1/8th inch.

    G.G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, I was laughing so hard. Love this one. A perfect example of Chrissisms. Someone should document you for science.

    ReplyDelete