Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Addition to the Family?

Ok, so Kevin and I have been throwing around the idea for a few months about getting a pet. Whatever we get, it has to be mellow and good with Jack. Babycakes is our top priority and whatever we get needs to be able to handle a toddler. We've been weighing the pros and cons of dogs vs. cats. Myself? I am all for the felines. They are cleaner, smell better, and really do a good job of taking care of themselves. We could put it outside if we wanted to even. On the downside, litter boxes make me gag (as do paper cuts and dirty diapers). I also am worried about Jack hurting a kitty. He's a big boy who likes to throw and sit on others.

The cat of my dreams is one of two... my first choice is a Persian. Oh how I love their noses scrunched up into their faces! Not a fan of the long hair, but with a nose like that, well, they can shed anywhere they want in my house. My second favorite is a Siamese. Ok, that's just because I really like Lady and the Tramp.


Dogs... Grrrr.... Kevin is a much bigger fan of cats, but has always wanted a husky. Just the thought of a large dog makes me woozy. If he would pick a dog like Dyna, Lisa's long haired doxie, then I would be all in. Dyna is an angel and I would love to have a pup like her. She can't be more then 5 or 7 pounds I don't think. Imagine the sweaters we could put on her! But, dogs do bite, especially when children pull their tails or throw markers at them. Example: Jack's face has two scars from a dog bite. Cats bite, too, but not like a big dog.


Either way, we have to be ultra careful on whatever we choose. Whatever we get, it will need to be inexpensive, so the chances of finding a Siamese or a long haired doxie at the Humane Society/craigslist are slim to none. I've been on their websites looking for the ideal pet, but none have really caught my eye. Most of their dogs fall in the category of pit bull, rottweiler, or hyper. Three things that do not fit my criteria.

So, what do you think? Should we really get a pet at this point in our lives? Is Jack ready to be a big brother to a furry friend? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. Way to like two of the cats with the highest number of health problems! Persians have problems with their eyes/tear ducts and breathing and Siamese have all sorts of health problems because they have been bred to be too thin and frail (not good for being tossed by a Jack!). As for dogs, I don't know about huskies (except that they are big) but one of the becky's had 3 doxies - they are very high maintenance/energy, very demanding of attention and probably not very child compatible.

    I would think something along the lines of a lab would be better, they are calm and good mannered and would probably appreciate the abuse from Jack.

    Keep in mind time for potty training and all the other stuff involved if you get a puppy. I don't know how you would manage though, as if Jack isn't enough to look out for! I can't even imagine having a dog at this point in my life because of all the extra demand, let alone a child! Yuck! ;) Hope that helps, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the potty training. That's why we don't want a puppy or a kitten. We want something that already knows the rules.

    Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you say Lady Luck, Poopy White Cat, Lucy, Spot, Twinky, Muffin, cat that came with Pooh Corner that I can't remember it's name, rabbits, turtle, snake, mice, etc. Think, think THINK before you make this commitment - it's almost bigger than marriage and having children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, the cat was named Mallory! Way to remember my dead cat, mom!

    If I can keep a baby alive, I'm sure I can handle a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We definitely want Jack in March BTW so I will make sure my schedule allows, as for pets, remember, cats scratch babies, especially rough babies, not all dogs bite but is you are rescuing a dog, you need to find out exactly why the dog is in the shelter, I do think a rescued lab is probably the best way to go, one out of the puppy stage, they love babies and usually boxers are very sweet and patient, I would maybe research by googling "perfect dog for me" and see what you come up with, and yes unfortunately, siamese and persians are high maintainance and very catty and don't like to be bothered much....oh and I hate to tell you this but Dyna is 13 lbs and she has been getting into a little trouble lately, apparently she has a sweet tooth for chocolate and has figured out how to get on the dining table.....catapult? I don't know, but she is on restriction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a warning, any siamese my mother-in-law has EVER had, had mental issues. (ex. Hides on top of the cupboards for you to walk past and then attacks) But hey, that just might be because it was raised around my brother-in-law. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a puppy and know I would love Jack...but after a long talk with Barbara, we feel that I am probably too old. Word on the "pet street" is that any youthful, trained dog or cat would love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kari, the only Siamese that I ever had did exactly the same thing. When I was pregnant for the very first time, Miko would climb to the very top of the bookcase and as I walked by POUNCE on me and bite my neck. We found Miko a new home very quickly.

    G.G.

    ReplyDelete