Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Golden Ticket

Team Pirate

Last week as I was preparing for the Lynch family to visit, I wanted to get them some free tickets to the main attraction here in Bend for the High Desert Museum which are usually $15 a person. (Actually, Jack's the main attraction of Bend, but you don't need tickets to see him!) Since they spent so much money getting here and on the hotel, etc., I thought I could save them $45 and it would be an entire day of fun. My sister-in-law, Laura, told me that the public library had free tickets that they check out each week but supplies were very limited. So, my sister, Jack, and I headed to the library last Tuesday to see if we could get one. The librarian, who's life must be so hard because she was so extremely rude and I can't imagine why someone would be so difficult unless their life is a total tragedy, told me the next ticket (which is good for up to four people) wouldn't be available until Wednesday morning at 10am when they open. So, I got my paperwork to sign up for a library card and was on my way. 

The next morning, I gathered up Jessica and Jack again and we were off to the library. I had my paperwork all filled out, my proof of residency, and i.d. all ready so I could get in, get a library card, and get my golden ticket! We got there about half an hour or so early because I wanted to be the first in line to get it. Jess and Jack stayed in the car and studied for the NCLEX exam while I went ahead. No one was around so I thought, "Alright! That ticket is mine!" but as 10am neared, the more and more people arrived. It was so hot out with the sun blazing on me, but I knew if I moved to a shady spot I'd lose my chance to be first. There was no line, but I was right in front of the main doors. People started to show up more and more, and the more that came, the closer they got to the front doors. I thought, "You know what, I don't care how stupid I look, I want that free ticket!" so I moved up to the glass doors and basically had my nose to the door. I could see about 30 - 40 people behind me in the reflection making weird faces as they thought I was a total freak. But I kept hearing others say, "I'm here for the High Desert Museum ticket!" and since I knew there was only one available, I couldn't lose my chance to get it! 

Alright, here's the scene: 10:00am, a librarian (not the rude one who lacks social skills but a nice one) opens the door. I jet right to the customer service desk as I feel the breaths and hear the trampling of feet behind me, all with the common goal: Get the Golden Ticket! Naturally, I am the first one up. I tell the guy I know there is only one ticket available for the museum and I want it but I need my library card first. He says, "No problem" and starts setting me up. Then shows up the nasty rude librarian who's definitely giving me the stink eye. She asks for the next person in line and they say they want the last ticket for the museum. My guy turns to them and says, "I'm sorry but she's already gotten it" and they say, "She's not even set up for a library card yet, we should get it!" At this point, he gets all up in their face defending my right to the ticket while Ms. Stink Eye sits there doing nothing to assist him. They seriously were going back and forth and it got pretty heated there for a minute. At the end, Team Chrissy was the victor, and that Golden Ticket was all mine! I seriously walked out of the library holding my ticket as tight as I could, and felt like a million bucks! 

I'll tell you what though, that rude librarian better not come through my check stand at Albertsons next time I'm working or I might just squish her bread when I scan it. Hmph!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Chrissy! You are sooo funny! That was a great story and very well written! So happy that you got the ticket and that the nice librarian helped you and stood up for you. I hope that Leona Librarian DOES go through your check out line. Good luck bread and eggs.

    G.G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need to give that library another chance...I'm pretty sure that kindness and helpfulness are in the librarian job description...she's a misunderstood soft drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THAT STORY....Jessica, ever the optimist and kind person, I think Leona had hemoroids.......Thanks for the "Golden Ticket" we held it high in the air as we paraded in and announced that WE were holding the "Golden Ticket" and yes, I had a smirk on my wicked face!

    ReplyDelete