Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Go Vote!


Here's another reason I LOVE Oregon: Voting is so fast! There is no polling places here. They mail you your ballot, you fill it out, then mail it back. It doesn't get any easier! My Nevada friends asked me how Oregon keeps people honest from stealing ballots out of mailboxes and filling them out. To be honest, I don't know how this state controls the voting fraud. I think because we are such small fries, it's not a huge problem here.

Anyway, I got my ballot last week. I filled it out in front of the computer so I could do any last minute research on the candidates and issues. Yes, I voted for McCain. I guess that makes Elizabeth Hasselback and myself his only supporters. That's ok though. I'd rather vote for someone I think is right then follow a fad. Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of you are voting for Obama because you did your research and find that he will suit your needs best. That I can agree with. It's all those 19 year olds who are voting for him because that's what the celebrities are doing. I was at work last night and several of my co-workers who are voting for the first time said they chose Obama. When I asked why, you know what they told me? One said because Oprah is. Another said because he's black and it'd be cool to have a black president. Really? You want to vote for someone because they are black, not because they are qualified? Did these kids not go to school? I'm sure when Obama is in office, he'll do a fine job. But the point is, these kids aren't even researching the candidates. They just went with what everyone else is doing.

My point is, as Jack gets older, I am going to teach him all about voting. Not republican vs. democrat, but why it's important to research everyone, see what their views and history are. I'm going to teach him that just because a person cheated on their wife (Bill Clinton) or someone's kid is pregnant and unwed (Sarah Palin), that's not what makes a good politician. Please, teach your kids the importance of research! My dad taught me, which is why I don't ever vote party line. My ballot had a nice mixture of republicans and democrats based on their qualifications. Another important thing about voting is the issues. I truly believe my vote for McCain was a waste and that Obama will win. But the local issues are so important and that's what truly needs people's attention and votes.

I'll tell you one thing though; As much as I adore the McCains, Cindy has got to lay off that eyeliner. She looks like a madam for the Mustang Ranch.

4 comments:

  1. Good on you Christina! Jack is so lucky to have you and your good reasoning. He will grow up to be a very responsible citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted for Obama b/c he's HOT!!! J/k.

    I voted for him because he is an extraordinarliy intelligent, articulate individual, and I feel that our president should be the best that we have to offer. (Editor of the Harvard Law Review status alone puts him in with the smartest .00005% of people in this nation).

    The fact that he's also been a constitutional law professor was also huge for me. Most people have no idea what the constitution says or how it's been interpreted. I strongly believe the president and vice-president should have a firm grasp of their powers and limitations, and of the rights and freedoms that need to be protected. I don't think the Republican ticket grasped it any better than George Bush and Dick Cheney did.

    It'll be interesting to see what Obama can do with this mess he's inherited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course your vote counts! I am a registered Republican who voted for Obama, I always research when voting and vote for the candidate I feel will represent our country best for the current conditions. I am glad you will keep my Grandson educated, it is important that your don't vote in ignorance. I agree that alot of the country probably did vote for their candidate of choice for the wrong reasons......my opinion, Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I voted for Obama because he's an Arab. Yes!

    ReplyDelete