Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Downsizing

Since we are going to be moving in the next couple of weeks to a smaller home, I've made it my mission to downsize. Being that 90% of everything in this house is stuff that is mine, and 40% of that is just junk, I am dedicating the next 3 weeks to getting rid of that 40%. I started listing a bunch of stuff on ebay and craigslist today.

Some of the stuff I listed are things from when Jack was a baby. As I was looking at similar items that were for sale so I could come up with a good price, I realized that people spend way too much money on new babies. For example, I am selling a swing that we have. The swings on craigslist were going for $20 - $50. I went to Target. com to see how much they were brand new and they are $90 - $160. What!? That is insanity! It shocks me that someone would pay $160 for a swing when there are at least 10 - 15 of them in fantastic condition on craigslist for $20. Maybe it's just the frugal Reese side of me, or maybe it's the totally broke side of me speaking, but am I the only one who finds that to be outrageous? I'm just glad that when I was pregnant, everyone loved that little thing growing in my tummy and hooked me up with sweet hand-me-downs. I didn't buy anything for him the first 6 months!

Jack has over $1000 in his stock account waiting to be invested in the right stock. I'm thinking we should invest that money in baby products like Graco and Fisher Price, because apparently, that's what all these crazy mom's are receiving as baby shower gifts.







1 comment:

  1. Hmm, if you're going to be investing in baby products you might want to mums the word on the great deals you're finding on craigslist for said items. Your stocks could soon be falling.

    ReplyDelete