These past two days with Jack have been the longest two days of my life, and I'm only nine hours into day two.
Now that Jack is older, he is requiring a lot more attention then he was before. He's also very curious, and it doesn't help that he can crawl 60 miles a minute and can walk with furniture. Of course, all of that was to be expected, I just didn't realize how much! This morning I even rolled over, looked at Kevin and said, "Honey, send Jack to the Lynch's. I need some sleep!"
Jack has this incredible fascination with electronics. I don't know if all babies do, or if maybe he's so into them because Kevin is, but holy cow, this kid is an electric shock waiting to happen. Between Kevin, Jessica, and I, we are constantly re-baby-proofing the house. And the things he is trying to put in his mouth... today alone he tried a feather, a lotion bottle, a soda can (that he was able to knock off the desk), and the digital camera. Who tries to eat a digital camera?! I'll tell you who: Jack! All of those lovely toys you all bought him... pssh! Who wants toys? Toys are for babies. Jack wants laptops and iMacs.
He also doesn't like to be alone. So, every morning when I take my shower, I bring him into the bathroom with me and shut the door (mind you, if the door is not 100% shut, Jack can find a way to open it and escape, hence why there is a baby gate now at the top of the stairs to avoid an accidental flying baby). Once I start the water, he bear crawls to the tub, stands up, and likes to watch the water. Even when I close the shower curtain, he opens it right up just to make sure I'm still there. He now has earned the nick-name "Peeping Tot". So, I got this "brilliant" idea this morning (about as brilliant as kicking a ball in his face) to bring him into the shower with me! I thought, he loves baths, so he'll love a shower, right? Right?! WRONG! The moment he got in with me he was miserable. Then he pooped on me and in the shower. Followed by blood curdling crying. Yes, he's learned that regular crying won't get my attention, so he has to act like he's being put into an oven so I come running to him.
At the moment, he is refusing to let me put a diaper on him, so as I am writing this I have a screaming naked baby sitting on me trying to take over the keyboard. So, I try to give him his toys or something to eat, but does he want any of that? No, he wants the keyboard. I unplug the keyboard and give it to him, what does he do? Not play with the keyboard, but now wants my cup of coffee. Hot, scalding coffee is where I draw the line. Next, I try to play with him, does he want that? No, of course not, "Why play with mom when I can run into to kitchen and and slam into things?" We are also enforcing a "no touching the oven" rule. Even if it is off, we don't want him to touch it because he doesn't understand when it is on, it will burn. I tell him, "No, Jack." and I move his hands. Guess what he did? Laughed at me and touched the oven again. Yes, I am being laughed at by a 10 month old.
Remember when I use to tell everyone what a good sleeper he was and how he'd sleep through the entire night? Yeah, I remember those days. Those were wonderful days. First off, he won't go to sleep unless Jessica or Kevin put him to bed. If I try to, oh no, that won't happen. Last night, he woke up a million times. I tried rubbing his back, rocking him, baby orajel in case it was his teeth, and singing to him (of course he screamed louder since I'm no American Idol). Finally, I just brought him in the room and let him crash in the bed with us. 5:30am rolls around and it's time to pound daddy in the face and fart in mommy's.
So, moral of the story, do NOT let this cute face fool you! As adorable and kissable as it looks, he has a plot.




WE'LL TAKE HIM ANYDAY!! Yeah, babies don't like showers, and as far as putting everything and anything in his mouth, I think he gets that from Jayson, he was always getting all kinds of things stuck. Vienna Finger cookies...sideways, toilet screw caps....suctioned to the roof of his mouth.......he was notorious for it!! And at least you were in the shower when he pooped on you, still not fun but the best place it could happen.
ReplyDeleteI'm totally buying Jack a string for Christmas. Oh, and you give up on putting him to sleep after about 3 minutes! And you wonder why it doesn't work for you?
ReplyDeleteOh, my gosh. I laughed so hard when I read this. He sounds so adorable! You need a little baby muzzle to keep those delicious things out of this mouth. I bet a pug muzzle would work. And since he doesn't eat vegetables or meat, he's a like a technivore-only eating the highest quality technology.
ReplyDeleteAh. It's only just begun. Try to enjoy the next couple of years. You'll look back on them fondly somewhere down the road.
ReplyDeleteG.G.
haha, how cute! Don't worry, all of them do it... Anastacia went through EXACTLY the same things!!!
ReplyDelete