Thursday, June 19, 2008

Big Red Ball + Jack + Mommy = Ball to Jack's Face

Yesterday was Aunt Jessica's birthday, so we had a wonderful BBQ at Uncle Nick & Aunt Laura's house. It was so awesome to get the cousin's together! Since Jack doesn't have any siblings (nor will he for a very long time!), it really makes me happy to see him be able to play with other babies. He's a very social tot.

Now, my brother is starting a kickball league and asked if I wanted to join. Anyone who knows me, knows I can't play sports. But, it sounded fun so I wanted, like, a test run, to see if I would be any good or not. While at their house yesterday, I see a big red ball. Nick and Kevin are gently kicking it back and forth to each other, so I ask them to send it my way. So, let me set up the scene for you: I'm in the center of the yard. Nick and Kevin are to my right. Jack is on the grass but to my far left. Ok, so Nick slowly rolls the ball to me and I kick it as hard as I can to the right, except, it didn't go to the right, it went to the left and hit Jack in the face dead on! I mean, it was like he had a target for a nose! The moment it happen he fell back and started to cry and I just froze. Yeah, most mommy's would have run to their little one. Actually, most mommy's wouldn't kick a ball in their baby's face. So, as I'm frozen, Kevin runs over to him, scoops him up and does Super Baby with him so he'll stop crying (the cure to any sad baby is a Super Baby. You just find a guy who is 6'5" who can hold a baby in the air and say "Super Baby!"). After less then a minute of Super Baby time, Jack was laughing and happy, and is totally ok. But I'll tell you what, I will never kick a ball when my sweet boy is around again. Knowing me, I'll join the league, kick the ball, and somehow it will go backwards into the crowd and hit Jack in the face again.











4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness... sorry, I just have to laugh. Poor Jack! Glad he's ok. Probably just scared the crap outta him. WTG Kevin with the SUPER BABY! bit. Works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually couldn't stop laughing once it happened. I felt terrible but it was just so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Down right the funniest thing I've seen in years. So wish I had a video camera for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm yeah, did it to Stevi when she was 6 only I was her teams soccer coach, quit laughing, I really was the coach and in front of all the parents during warm up.......I did the same thing, only I did aim for the goal and hit Stevi right in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her. What a good coach and mommy I was, one of my prouder moments........Hey she got up after 15 minutes of tears!! She was FINE!

    ReplyDelete